Institute of Construction Machinery Engineering
- Department of Hybrid Drives
- Investigation, modelling, simulation and design of electric and hybrid drive systems for passenger cars, buses and other vehicles;
- Impact analysis of powertrain system components on operation and overall system efficiency;
- Investigation and formation of non-linear simulation models of vehicle batteries;
- Grants (ongoing and finished): (HyHeels, AVTR, WIDE-MOB, SAGE – Safe and Green Road Vehicles Europe, IntraSME – Innovative Transport SME Support Action „Interactive Power Devices for Efficiency in Automotive with Increased Reliability and Safety”, Power distribution control in electric and hybrid vehicles).
- Department of Construction Machinery
- Mechanical engineering and design of construction machinery;
- Mechanical engineering and design of hydraulic drive and control systems;
- Experimental investigation and modelling of processes of soil and rock engineering with earthwork machinery;
- Experimental investigation and modelling of soil and rock strength properties;
- Experimental investigation and modelling of processes of rock crushing in impact crushers;
- Experimental investigation and modelling of automation processes and operation optimisation of construction machinery;
- Modelling of advanced plastic deformation of metals under ECAP, CEC and KOBO processes – FEM simulations and upper estimation of limit load capacity;
- Constitutive modelling of cyclic deformation of metals;
- Methodology of automation of construction machinery operations;
- Formation of simulation models of construction machinery and tractors;
- Battleground robotisation issues;
- Design and construction of operator-machine-environment interfaces.
- Department of Material Handling
- Design of construction machinery supporting structures;
- Numerical analysis of structures;
- Design of material handling devices (conveyers, elevators, cranes);
- Fatigue and brittle fracture;
- Reliability and fatigue life of supporting structures;
- Safe operation of construction machinery and open-pit mining machiners (diagnostics and inspection).
Institute of Machine Design Fundamentals
- Department of Mechanics
- Machine dynamics, especially dynamics of impellers;
- Vibrations and stability analysis of dynamical systems;
- Chaotic phenomenons in mechanical systems;
- Advanced engineering materials, including composite materials, shape-memory materials and materials with piezoelectric elements;
- Active and semi-active vibration reduction;
- Stochastic dynamics of continuous;
- Recovering of mechanical vibrations energy;
- Application of image analysis in control systems.
- Department of Fundamentals of Machine Design and Operation
- The Department conducts research works in the field of machine design fundamentals (including design works), vibroacoustics, technical diagnostics and dynamics of machine elements. It its scientific-educational laboratories senior students have possibility to work on research stands built, for example, under granted research programs or on request of external entities. Among them, there should be mentioned the test stands for investigation of foundation and assembly errors impact on powertrain dynamics, for investigation of composite structures, for investigation of strain wave and toothed gearings and for investigation of rolling bearings.
- Department of Manufacturing Techniques
- Design and manufacturing technologies of spiral bevel and hypoid gear;
- Computer aided manufacturing;
- Rapid prototyping;
- Geometric quantities measurement (with coordinate measuring machine);
- Quality management systems;
- Application of numerical methods in machine design, especially finite element method (FEM);
- Application of hyperelastic materials in machine design: elastomers, foams, sponges, gels;
- End of life vehicle recycling.
- Department of Computer Techniques
Computer Aided Engineering:
- CAD systems application for geometrical modelling of machine parts and units;
- Creating CAE applications by means of object-oriented programming languages;
- Creating engineering databases;
- Knowledge-based systems in machine design.
Institute of Vehicles
- Department of Automobiles
- Theory and design of motor vehicles;
- Road tests for estimation of vehicle vibration influence on riding comfort;
- Investigation of longitudinal and lateral dynamics of vehicle;
- Investigation of tire adhesion to road surface;
- Automotive expertise and road accidents reconstruction.
- Department of Combustion Engines
- Experimental tests of combustion and heat generation processes in diesel and gasoline engines using petroleum-derived fuels and fuels obtained from renewable energy sources;
- Investigation of performance and durability of exhaust purification systems in actual diesel and petrol engines, including catalytic converters and diesel particle filters;
- Experimental tests of petroleum fuels properties and properties of fuels obtained from renewable energy sources as well as investigation of cleansing agents influence on soot formation on injector nozzles;
- Simulation test of energy transformation and toxic exhaust emission processes by means of AVL BOOST, AVL Fire and LMS Imagine.Lab AMESim software;
- Environment impact evaluation of internal combustion engine operation in on-theroad and off-the-road applications;
- Preparation of balancing methods for combustion engine exhaust emissions.
- Department of Tractors and Hydraulic Drives
- Investigation of agricultural tractors and special purpose vehicles;
- Component design of drive and powertrain systems for machinery and special purpose vehicles;
- Vibroacoustic diagnostics of machinery and vehicles drive and powertrain systems;
- Condition monitoring and fault diagnostics of machines and construction structures;
- Design of mechatronic systems;
- Investigation of vehicle hydraulic and hydro-mechanical drive systems;
- Application of „intelligent” materials for active vibration damping in vehicle suspension systems;
- Pro-active operation, maintenance;
- Energy co-generation in vehicles and machines;
- Vehicle and machine acoustics as well as image processing and analysis.
- Department of Rail Vehicles
- Design, diagnostics and field tests of rail vehicles;
- Modelling of vehicle-rail contact issues;
- Simulative investigation of rail vehicle longitudinal and transverse dynamics using FEM and MBS computer software.